Ageing is a natural process and not something that can be avoided. Looking your age can be avoided when you take care of the largest organ of your body – your skin. Taking care of your skin is the most important thing you can do to keep it healthy and glowing for longer. Cleansing, scrubbing, massaging, toning, and moisturising are the essential steps you should incorporate into your daily skincare routine. Another step that needs to be added to your skincare routine when you enter your 30s is a Face Serum.
A serum is a magic potion with a high volume of actives that can target one problem area or multiple, basis their formulations. The serums do not have a huge mix of ingredients as compared to moisturisers or cleansers, but their composition of highly potent actives makes them a must-have in your skincare routine. With over four to six weeks of regular usage, the serums will show visible effects on your skin and boost your complexion.
Not just giving a boost to your complexion, a face serum has many other benefits for your skin. It is advised to use a serum regularly when you enter your 30s. Below are a few more reasons that will convince you further:
- Improved Skin Texture: A serum boosts the skin’s collagen content, which reduces as you age. With a boost in collagen, your facial skin will become firmer, smoother, and plumper leading to an improved texture.
- Reduced Fine Lines and Wrinkles: Regular application of the powerful formula of some of the best face serums helps reduce the spots, pimples, scars, fine lines, ageing signs, and wrinkles from your face. The active ingredients of these serums help accelerate cell regeneration.
- Minimises Open Pores: Using a face serum reduces open pores on the face, thus leading to fewer blackheads and whiteheads. The thin consistency of a serum keeps the pores oil-free and clean.
- Skin Hydration and Nourishment: Keeping your skin hydrated and nourished is essential. Having the best face serum in your skincare routine is good, as it will help you achieve both these skin goals.
Now that we have understood what a face serum is and its benefits for your skin let’s see its proper application routine so that you get the best out of them.
- Incorporate the serum slowly into your skincare routine. Start with applying a face serum once every two days so that your skin doesn’t show any adverse effects and your skin can adjust to the addition of this product.
- Always cleanse and tone your face first so that the dirt, dust, and pollution can be removed from your face and then the serum can work to hydrate, moisturise, exfoliate, or brighten your skin.
- Do not apply your serums after you have moisturised your skin, as the effects of the serum won’t reach your skin as it will seal the skin’s surface. Serums are lightweight and should be applied before you moisturise.
- Do not use two serums of contrasting or opposing ingredients together; instead, alternate their usage so that their benefits can reach your skin and they do not have an opposing reaction on your face.
But how to choose the correct serum for your face? What should you keep in your mind while investing in a face serum? After all, serums are costly, and you do not want to spend your hard-earned money on a product that does your skin no good.
- Always keep your skin type in mind while buying a face serum. You do not want a serum infused with actives that dry or make your skin oily.
- Every skin issue is unique, and you need to decide which skin issue you plan to target with the serum because your selection for the serum will be based on that.
Which actives in a face serum are ideal for you, and what do they do for your skin when applied? Let’s learn about a few ingredients that work wonders for your skin when used through a serum.
- Vitamin E – The vitamin E serum for face fights against skin damage and makes it healthy. It reduces hyperpigmentation and dark spots, prevents sunburn and skin ageing, removes dirt from the pores, improves dry skin, and fights against free radicals.
- Rosehip Oil – Rosehip Oil hydrates, moisturises, exfoliates, and brightens your skin. It boosts collagen in the skin and reduces inflammation. It protects against sun damage and reduces fine lines, wrinkles, and hyperpigmentation.
- Alpha Arbutin - Alpha Arbutin lightens skin and reduces hyperpigmentation and free radicals without increasing sun exposure. It fades the effects of inflammation and environmental stressors while evening out the skin tone.
- Hyaluronic Acid – Hyaluronic Acid keeps the skin hydrated and younger-looking. It improves skin tone and texture and helps treat dry skin conditions. It protects the skin from sun damage and also helps reduce acne breakouts.
- Vitamin B5 – Vitamin B5 promotes soft, supple, and comfortable skin. It attracts and holds moisture in the skin. It helps to soften the skin, keeps it moist and flexible, and prevents dryness.
- Red Aloe Vera – Red Aloe Vera helps soothe sunburns, keeps the skin moisturised, boosts the healing of wounds, and fights skin ageing. It lightens the appearance of blemishes and acne on the face.
Always do a patch test before using a serum, as it contains highly potent active ingredients that can irritate your skin. Use a serum in moderation to get the most benefits out of it.
Ideally, you should use a face serum twice daily – once in the morning after cleansing and once at night before using your PM moisturiser.
Take a few drops of the serum in your palm and gently massage it on your face and neck in soft and gentle upward strokes. If your serum comes in a dropper bottle, drop 3-4 drops on your face and massage it. Wait for a few minutes so the serum can seep properly into your skin, and then you can moisturise your skin to lock in the effects of your skincare products on your face and neck.
The bottom line being serums are a powerhouse of potent actives that work directly on your skin, and you will see their effects on your skin in a shorter time. Wrinkles, fine lines, hyperpigmentation, sun damage, large pores, dryness and other skin issues can effectively be tackled when you regularly use face serums. Clensta has a wide range of face serums for various skin issues that can be a boon.